Saturday, February 13, 2010

Method #10

Wikis  I'm glad to have learned more about wikis, and especially about some library related ones out there in cyberspace.  I tend to think mainly of Wikipedia when I think of wikis, although I know our tech people maintain several wikis on different tech-related topics on our district web page.  I'm not sure why they chose to post that information in wiki format.  I certainly wouldn't be gutsy enough to add anything to those pages! 

I can think of a couple of wikis I might like to start on research related topics.  I feel like several teachers on my campus might have great ideas about helping students learn research techniques that they would be willing to share in wiki format.  And I can see it being very helpful to use a wiki to list bibliographic information on a certain topic.  Instead of the librarian making lists of resources, a wiki would provide a format for everyone to share great sources of information they've come across on any given topic.  And I loved the possibility of using a wiki to communicate with others for a short-term project or outing.  Afterwards, the wiki can be deleted, or saved if helpful information was gathered which might have a broader application.

No comments:

Post a Comment