Monday, November 23, 2009

Method #8--Social Networking

I have chosen not to set up a FaceBook or MySpace account at this time.  I am concerned about privacy issues, especially after reading that FaceBook and other social networking sites keep user profiles virtually forever!  Moreover, I really can't decide how badly I want to reconnect with people from all points in my past, which seems to me to be at least one main reason to have a FaceBook page. Does that make me the most anti-social person ever?  I realize most people also use it to put personal information out to current friends and colleagues.  Again, I just can't get excited about that.  However, the idea of a professional account or a library account on FaceBook or Twitter, sounds much more appealing.  I like the idea of putting out information, PR notices, and new book blurbs on social networking sites.  From the articles I read, it seems this is mainly happening at academic and public libraries, although I'm sure there are K-12 librarians using these tools also.  However, it definitely is not happening in my school district.  Just last week we received notice that the district tech dept. was opening up YouTube to teachers and staff only, for the first time ever.  FaceBook, MySpace, and Twitter are all still blocked for the time being.  I have hope that that will not always be the case, but for now, setting up an account for my library would mean doing everything from home.  I'm not willing to commit myself to that kind of  "homework."
       Should the day ever come that social networking sites are opened up at my high school, I have to wonder if it would really serve any purpose.  It seems to me that high school students would be much more reticent about joining a library group or friending a librarian or teacher than older students and adults would be.  It should be fun to find out though, if I ever get the chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment