Sunday, November 1, 2009

More on privacy

I heard more on the privacy story on NPR this past week, confirming that it's not such a bad thing that I'm uneasy with the Internet.  The law simply hasn't kept up with the technology which allows just about anyone with the know-how to retrieve what used to be private information on people from the Internet.  If I understood what the reporter was saying, possession still tends to by nine-tenths of the law. So, if your information is on your own computer, there is some protection under the law.  But all the information stored on third-party servers is not so safe under the law.  Interestingly enough, law-makers were on the verge of passing more stringent privacy laws when 9/11 hit.  Since then, Congress has lost its will to pass the laws that would protect people's information.  I'm sure this is a vastly simplified summary of what the reality is, and even what was said on the report, but it did cause me to want to go slow with this whole idea of transferring all my information online.

No comments:

Post a Comment